Writing a compelling story and creating a webcomic may be challenging but it can be easier if you understand the process, tips and tricks used by comic strip artists. With the right tools you can create an awesome story for your webcomic.
Dan Thompson is the creator of syndicated comic strip Rip Haywire as well as the single panel comic Brevity, the comic Lost Sheep and the children’s puzzle strip Kidspot. In this online video course Dan describes the process for telling a story in a 30 day web comic strip.
Thompson discusses creating a storyline using a structure based on the classic hero’s journey and with step by step illustrations using his own Rip Haywire comic strip. Additionally, Dan discusses staging dynamic comic strip panels and how using different panel styles and colors will make your comic strip go from “okay” to “AWESOME!”
• Dan Thompson describes some of basic comic strip concepts.
• He goes on to describe in detail how to created a storyline for a 30 day comic strip
• Dan walks through a storyline for Haywire as an example
• Dan describes comic strip panel styles and colors.
The student artist is then given the assignment to write a story that can be used to create a comic strip.
Lesson Part B:
• Dan Thompson walks through the assignment himself