Have you ever wanted to design your own character? But where do you start? The online course Introduction To Character Design gives you all the basic insights you need to start your journey into the world of character design including: how to sketch, the three (most important) elements of character design, rotating your character’s head in space, simple and complex shapes, breaking up the characters’ clothing into a stronger design, and asking questions of yourself.
Lesson Part A:
• Introduction of Instructor- Tom Bancroft
• What is Character Design and how does it fit into the process of animation, video games, and illustration?
• Start your character design with a reason, an idea and a personality
• The basics- How to hold your pencil and asking questions.
• SHAPE Based character design
• The fundamental lesson of character design: it is made up of three concepts: Shape, Size, and Variety.
• Now introduce the concept of adding SIZE and VARIETY to your shapes.
• What about character style? Do I need one? How do I get one?
• Design a generic boy character, around 8-12 years old.
Lesson Part B:
• Tom Bancroft will create sketches and walk the artist through his thought process
• Suggestions for the artist on how to continue forward with the project to take it to final.