Have you ever wanted to create you own comics or comic strip? Have you tried to create a comic but gotten stuck?
Michael Jantze, creator of The Norm comic strip, walks you through the process of comic creation using the process of “drawriting.” In this first lesson in a series on comic creation, Michael walks you through the basics as well as highlighting what is important to creating a funny comic. Michael Jantze brings his years of experience with The Norm comic strip to you in this compelling video on comic fundamentals and the process of drawriting.
Lesson Part A:
• Introduction of instructor – Michael Jantze
• What is a comic? Text-image interdependence
• What is drawriting and how does it help the process of making comics?
• The basics – materials and how to ask questions
• Who is this character?
• Finding a story, comedy versus drama, in your sketches
• The fundamentals of the three act play in one panel: premise, character, the left turn
The student artist is then given the assignment to Sketch a character and iterate the personality to single panel comic pencils
Lesson Part B:
• Michael Jantze creates a single panel comic using the drawriting process
• Suggestions for the viewer on how to continue forward with the project to take it to a